Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Волгоград:Volgograd

This was my first city in the mission. It is one of the longest cities in the world, stretching over 50 miles long and only 1-2 miles wide, all built upon the West bank of the mighty Volga River. Volgograd, which was called Stalingrad in soviet times, was completed destroyed during the German invasion of World War II. It currently has a population of just over 1 million.
The "Mother of Russia" statue stands at the highest point in the city. She is looking back to call the Russian armies on, as they battled the Germans to defend their city. This is the main statue of an entire complex of memorials, all dedicated to the Battle of Stalingrad. As with every good Russian monument, it's GIGANTIC!

 Margo and I with Sister Luba

Margo and I with Brother Kamo and Sister Nadezhda


Here is what's left of the last building standing in Volgograd after World War II.
You can guess that Russians really don't like Germans.

On the banks of the Volga River


I really haven't been the best at staying up with people since I left the mission, 
but it was great that even with all the time that has passed we were able to see 
so many people and catch up on each others lives.

I lived in Volgograd for 6 months and hadn't been back for 6 years. Not much had really changed.
I had a great time seeing the same places and walking the same roads I did as missionary. I was surprised at how many memories came flowing back that were triggered by seeing a particular street, house, or building. I did have a great beginning to my mission in Volgograd. One of my favorite parts of the whole trip was being able to show all of these things to Margo.
Margo sitting where the babushkas usually sat outside my first apartment

No comments: